Boost.Python update

lux-integ lux-integ at btconnect.com
Sat Apr 4 02:31:39 PDT 2009

Greetings

I am still experiencing difficulties with Boost.Python needed by kdeedu-4.2.1.
This link
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_38_0/libs/python/doc/building.html
gives guidance on building Boost.Python.  I went to section4  and
passed --with-python  to the build.sh script of boost.jam.  The build went
fine.  I then turned to boost.  I found  first a  difference  between boost:-

boost_1_38_0/libs/python exist  boost_1_37_0/libs/python  does not

I decided to install   the former.  This  now has  cmake as well as gnu
configure.

cmake works like so

cmake  ../boost_1_38_0    -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_IS_EXPERIMENTAL=YES_I_KNOW -Wno-dev

########running make yields:-

[100%] Building CXX object
tools/bcp/CMakeFiles/bcp.dir/output_licence_info.cpp.o
Linking CXX executable ../../bin/bcp
[100%] Built target bcp

######running make install yields:-

-- Installing: /usr/include//boost/dynamic_property_map.hpp
CMake Error at libs/preprocessor/cmake_install.cmake:36 (FILE):
  file INSTALL cannot find file
  "/usr/src/build-08/vpn-08/sources-vpnc08/base-vpnc-08/boost_1_38_0/libs/preprocessor/include/boost"
  to install.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  libs/cmake_install.cmake:37 (INCLUDE)
  cmake_install.cmake:42 (INCLUDE)

make: *** [install] Error 1

###### installing by conventional gnu configure.  make and make install
appears to work but   kdeedu-4.2.1  complains Boost.Python is still missing,
(see below):-

-- The following external packages were located on your system.
-- This installation will have the extra features provided by these packages.
+ Experimental Python binding support for the Marble library
+ Python
+ OCaml
+ LibFacile
+ OpenGL
+ OpenBabel2
+ libcfitsio0
+ LibXSLT
+ LibXML2
+ GNU Readline
+ OpenGL
+ Gmm++
+ Qalculate
+ GSL
-- The following OPTIONAL packages could NOT be located on your system.
-- Consider installing them to enable more features from this software.
+ Boost.Python, 1.31 or higher: Kig can optionally use Boost.Python for Python
scripting <http://www.boost.org/>
+ libindi, 0.6 or higher: A framework for controlling astronomical devices
such as telescopes, CCDs, filter wheels..etc. <http://indi.sf.net>
Gives KStars support for controlling astronomical devices.

It is unclear if  Boost.Python is built using configure (with--python), make,
make install  or with the experimental cmake (which cannot be installed!).

Input from those fiddling with Boost.Python  would be gratefully received.

Yours sincerely
lux-integ.