HAL <-> Xorg troubles

michael lang kingoipo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 16:12:57 PDT 2009

2009/4/4 michael lang <kingoipo at gmail.com>

> 2009/4/3 Guillaume Chevallereau <gchevallereau at free.fr>
>
> You are certainly missing this patch for hal :
>> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2008-August/012178.html
>>
>> Le vendredi 03 avril 2009 à 19:49 +0200, michael lang a écrit :
>> > Hey,
>> >
>> > I've run into a problem with HAL and Xorg. I've built Xorg with HAL
>> > support, and it expects that HAL has a mouse listed with `hal-device`.
>> > But it doesn't, which means that with the default
>> > configuration(AllowEmptyInput on) I don't have any mouse and keyboard.
>> > If I override that option to off, my mouse works fine, but my keyboard
>> > does not entirely, I can type normally, but my arrow keys are linked
>> > to enter and home/end/page down/page up don't work at all.
>> >
>> > I tried this blog article to get it running, but sadly, no game:
>> > http://who-t.blogspot.com/2008/07/input-configuration-in-nutshell.html
>> >
>> > Also, a thing worth mentioning, I'm using Xorg Xserver 1.6.99 and HAL
>> > 0.5.11(with ConsoleKit and PolicyKit)
>> >
>> > Does anyone have any experience with this?
>> >
>> >  Michael de Lang
>> > --
>

> Thanks for the patch, I applied it and re-compiled HAL-0.5.11, but now this
> is what happens if I start hald: http://pastebin.com/m8e2bace
>
>  Michael de Lang

My apologies for double mailing, but I have to correct myself, I used the
patch on http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2008-August/012179.htmland
got a whole lot more info, but the error in the end is still the same,
hald cannot get dbus to convince that it is privileged to own the service
org.freedesktop.Hal(even though haldaemon and root are allowed to own it
according to /etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf) (note, the --retain-privileges
option doesn't change this either)

 Michael de Lang