Help with Xlib and Xorg-apps

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Apr 1 04:17:10 PDT 2009

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 15:05:52 -0500, William Immendorf <will.immendorf at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 10:53 AM, lux-integ <lux-integ at btconnect.com>
> wrote:
>> this is  how I did it a while back  (if it is of  any help - my host
> was
>> amd64 -64BITonly  kernel-2.6.27.7)):-

Apologies for the obvious troll-feeding here everyone, but I just cannot let this slide:

> This thing you sent me is NOT useful, send some REAL help next time.

William, you obviously haven't learned have you?  The above was incredibly rude and
completely inappropriate for the LFS community mailing lists.  You do not have the
right to demand help from anyone (nor does anyone else on these lists).  Help is
provided on a voluntary basis, based on the time and knowledge of the list readers,
and therefore no assumption should ever be made that you will have your problem solved
(or even answered!).  Obviously, we do have a lot of knowledgable folks who are willing
to spend their time answering queries, and for that we are fortunate and should be
grateful.

If someone does provide assistance, but that doesn't rectify the issue you're seeing,
common courtesy would be to thank them for their assistance, then explain to them what
part of their advice didn't work for you and why not (e.g. I ran command x but it
gave me error message y).

Matt.