Another problem...

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 09:10:19 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 6:38 AM, Nicolas FRANCOIS
<nicolas.francois at free.fr> wrote:
> ...with my brain, I'm quite sure.
>
> I have serious problems with devices permissions : I can read a DVD with
> MPlayer being root, but not being me. Same thing with gphoto2 : I can
> download the photos from my camera being root, but not as a normal user.
>
> My normal user belongs to disk, usb, video, haldaemon... I don't know
> what to add ! Some of the devices created by udev in the dev directory do
> seem to be owned by root, so this may be the problem.

You need to look at the /dev permissions and associated udev rules.
The CD/DVD devices (look at the /dev/cdrom* symlinks) are created with
cdrom group permissions. I'm not sure what method you followed to
install libgphoto2, but the package contains a program to create udev
rules with an appropriate group (I was using the camera group).
However, without the rules, I think the regular usb udev rule should
be used, which sets the group to usb. Need some more details here.

--
Dan