Cairo dependencies

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 16:47:58 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 4:27 PM, Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 04:03:30PM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> >  I'm still trying to document the dependencies on my new desktop
>> > build (which works, except that evince still crashes xorg (this is
>> > with gcc-4.2.4 on x86_64)).  I seem to have found a circular
>> > dependency,and I'm mighty confused.
>> >
>> >  At the moment, I've built cairo-1.8.0, poppler-0.8.7, and
>> > ghostscript-8.63 in that order (because that's the order I've built
>> > the previous versions in, in the days of gcc-4.1.2 it all worked).
>> >
>> >  In cairo, I see it tests for poppler and ghostscript, and it won't
>> > build the pdf and ps backends without them.  It did cross my mind
>> > that this might be the cause of my evince problem, but rebuilding
>> > cairo now that poppler and gs have been installed, and rebuilding
>> > evince, didn't help - I guess that was a red herring.
>>
>> Are you sure it's not just skipping PDF and PS tests without those
>> guys? Certainly, poppler uses cairo for it's rendering of PDFs. I know
>> in the past that cairo checked for gtk+, but it was only for the
>> testsuite.
>>
>> The cairo testsuite is pretty large and not shy about leaning on
>> external pieces for it, but they shouldn't be needed for cairo itself.
>>
>  Hi Dan,
>
> thanks for that.  No, I'm not at all sure what any of the
> dependencies are used for, I'm happy to believe they are only for
> the testsuite (I run LFS and clfs tests, but for BLFS I only run
> them if I'm editing the book - in the past I've wasted hours running
> tests that proved nothing).
>
>  My head is still spinning from the "creativity" of people who
> write the scripts, e.g. if you are building a package called fubar,
> when you look in the log and see it is testing for FUBAR, what is it
> testing for ?
>
> a) the completeness of its own code
> b) glib, or sometimes gtk
> c) X libraries
> d) Xft

Yeah, that's the PKG_CHECK_MODULES macro. Normally, you call it like this:

PKG_CHECK_MODULES(SOME_VAR, x11 xext)

That would put use pkg-config to get the --cflags and --libs settings
for libX11 and libXext and put them in SOME_VAR_CFLAGS and
SOME_VAR_LIBS.

The decision was made to just list SOME_VAR in the configure output
instead of what's being searched for in the event that you have a
really long list of dependencies. So, if you need to dig in to what's
going on, look for PKG_CHECK_MODULES in configure.{ac,in}.

--
Dan