Cairo dependencies

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Oct 24 16:27:53 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 04:03:30PM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >  I'm still trying to document the dependencies on my new desktop
> > build (which works, except that evince still crashes xorg (this is
> > with gcc-4.2.4 on x86_64)).  I seem to have found a circular
> > dependency,and I'm mighty confused.
> >
> >  At the moment, I've built cairo-1.8.0, poppler-0.8.7, and
> > ghostscript-8.63 in that order (because that's the order I've built
> > the previous versions in, in the days of gcc-4.1.2 it all worked).
> >
> >  In cairo, I see it tests for poppler and ghostscript, and it won't
> > build the pdf and ps backends without them.  It did cross my mind
> > that this might be the cause of my evince problem, but rebuilding
> > cairo now that poppler and gs have been installed, and rebuilding
> > evince, didn't help - I guess that was a red herring.
>
> Are you sure it's not just skipping PDF and PS tests without those
> guys? Certainly, poppler uses cairo for it's rendering of PDFs. I know
> in the past that cairo checked for gtk+, but it was only for the
> testsuite.
>
> The cairo testsuite is pretty large and not shy about leaning on
> external pieces for it, but they shouldn't be needed for cairo itself.

 Hi Dan,

thanks for that.  No, I'm not at all sure what any of the
dependencies are used for, I'm happy to believe they are only for
the testsuite (I run LFS and clfs tests, but for BLFS I only run
them if I'm editing the book - in the past I've wasted hours running
tests that proved nothing).

 My head is still spinning from the "creativity" of people who
write the scripts, e.g. if you are building a package called fubar,
when you look in the log and see it is testing for FUBAR, what is it
testing for ?

a) the completeness of its own code
b) glib, or sometimes gtk
c) X libraries
d) Xft

 - The correct answers are usually (b), (c), or (d) - if it was
testing its own completeness it wouldn't put the name in capitals!

 Thanks again, it's been a long week ;)

ĸen