Cairo dependencies

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Oct 24 15:56:25 PDT 2008

 I'm still trying to document the dependencies on my new desktop
build (which works, except that evince still crashes xorg (this is
with gcc-4.2.4 on x86_64)).  I seem to have found a circular
dependency,and I'm mighty confused.

 At the moment, I've built cairo-1.8.0, poppler-0.8.7, and
ghostscript-8.63 in that order (because that's the order I've built
the previous versions in, in the days of gcc-4.1.2 it all worked).

 In cairo, I see it tests for poppler and ghostscript, and it won't
build the pdf and ps backends without them.  It did cross my mind
that this might be the cause of my evince problem, but rebuilding
cairo now that poppler and gs have been installed, and rebuilding
evince, didn't help - I guess that was a red herring.

 However, both poppler and ghostscript seem to *need* cairo to build
all their functionality.  At the moment I think my build order is
still working, but I'm puzzled if anyone else is building these three
packages in a different order, or rebuilding cairo as a matter of
course ?

 If there *is* a circular dependency, it's not the sort of thing
that "regular" binary distros are likely to come across when they
update - everyone with a modern desktop already has cairo.

ĸen