Still a few problems with my brand new LFS system

Michael Brandstetter listen at freigeister.org
Sun Oct 19 08:33:00 PDT 2008

Am Sonntag, 19. Oktober 2008 17:08:20 schrieb Nicolas FRANCOIS:
> Hi.
>
> snip
> 2) When using the /tmp folder, I get an error message. For example, when
> lynx tries to download a file, it gives me this :
>
> /tmp/lynxXXXXu3ThFQ : Permission denied (in fact, "Permission non
> accordée", in french, but without the accented "é", see previous issue
> ;-)
>
> So I modified the permissions of /tmp to 777, but I think this is risky.
> What is the good setup ? I don't remember having encountered this problem
> on previous LFS systems.

In the book in chapter 6.5 /tmp is created with 1777. With a single user
system that's really ok. The 1 means that only the user who has created the
file can delete it except root ;-)
But all users are able to read the files and their content. On a multiuser
system that's maybe an issue.

> snip

Regards Michael
--