webkit with gnome-2.24

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Oct 16 22:42:14 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 10:19:48PM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:

> I haven't actually tried this, but you can also just grab the xulrunner tarball:
>
> http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/xulrunner/releases/
>
> FWIW, I'm pretty sure fedora builds xulrunner from these tarballs and
> not from the firefox source. But there's probably not a lot of
> difference since they're just different branches of the same code.

 True, but they're both 36MB downloads.  And unfortunately yes, they
are so similar that neither build on ppc (I started looking at ff3
when I was on my ppc64, having forgotten how much pain ff-1.5 and
then ff2 gave me on it).  For now, a separate xulrunner tarball just
feels like more overhead and bloat to me.

 I suppose that after the next round of vulnerability fixes it might
be possible to just build the new firefox (supposedly, that doesn't
take very long once the xulrunner stuff is installed), but that
probably needs some analysis of what changed and how that relates to
what is compiled for xulrunner.

ĸen