Installing HAL

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Tue Oct 7 16:58:36 PDT 2008

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Scott Castaline wrote:
>>  [snip total confusion :-)]
>
> I'll try and be helpful without sounding condescending.
>
> First. You need to get a handle on what packages do, and
> why they are dependencies of one-another. For example,
> Doxygen is only used to create API documentation. Chances
> are, you don't even need it.

I didn't think I did, just thought that it could be useful for other things.

> Without knowing *why* a package is a dependency, you'll
> be asking questions until the cows come home.
>
> Next. Most circular dependencies in BLFS are annotated
> one way or another. There are actually very few. Read
> the dependencies *carefully*. Examine what each one does,
> and how/why it could benefit your installation. If you
> don't understand what a package does by reading the stuff
> in BLFS or the stuff on the home page of the package,
> chances are you don't need it.
>
> Next. I build X right off the bat. Expat, then FreeType
> and Fontconfig, then X (hopefully, I'm not leaving something
> out). The dependencies for X are very straightforward.

I wasn't sure if that was the way to go. I had first got wget and then
the dhcp packages and a couple of other packages. The automount thing
actually came from a cdrom thing, just thought that it would be nice to
have, but it looks like that it probably would be better to install X
first and then possibly come back to that. In regards to the
dependencies, I understand where you are coming from, I just wasn't sure
which was the best order to go.