Installing HAL

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 7 14:19:51 PDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 04:31:20PM -0400, Scott Castaline wrote:
> Scott Castaline wrote:
> I just noticed that an optional package for dbus-1.0.2 is X Window
> System and Doxygen which the latter was also listed also as an option to
> another pkge. I'm planning on eventually installing X but was thinking
> later. Should I do it now and then come back to all of this? Or can I
> just rebuild/reinstall these pkgs individually without going through all
> of them again? Sorry to hit with so much at one time, but to me it looks
> like I need to know all this now b4 moving on. Also I have 4.8 GB left
> on my drive, will that be enough or should I now plan on making more room?

 I have an abhorrence of hal, and will go out of my way to avoid it
(but, I equally avoid automount).  However, to answer your last
question first, "yes, install X first".  Dbus seems to be required
by modern desktop systems, it may even be useful, but without X you
won't have a desktop.

 Since the book is mostly still at the 6.3 stage, here is part of my
build order for those versions, somewhat modified to match what I'm
now doing (I used to defer dbus until I built the gnome apps I
needed, here it is moved earlier ]:

ed, expat, libpng, Python, libxml2, libxslt, gperf, freetype,
fontconfig, XML-Parser, intltool, pkgconfig

xorg.  Until you know what parts you *don't* want, follow the wget
files (for some of these parts, the order in which you build them
is important - the order in the wget files works)
 protos, utilities, libraries, libdrm, Mesa (people using nvidia
hardware can probably drop this, bitmaps, apps, core fonts [ at a
minimum, encodings, font-util, font-adobe in 100dpi or 75dpi to match
your screen, font-alias, font-cursor, font-misc-misc ], xorg-server,
drivers (input and video), TTFs of your choice, a basic windowmanager
(I've given up on twm, which the book has among the apps, I think -
fluxbox works adequately enough for me until I've built the toolkits
and can build e.g. icewm (use 1.3 if you are doing that)  or whatever
else you prefer.

 You'll also need some sort of terminal to do anything in X at this
point, the book has xterm (needs luit), or rxvt-unicode.

 If you intend to use a 'legacy' desktop (twm, possibly even
fluxbox) you may wish to install more of the 'core' fonts.  Most
people will want to use TTFs - if you eventually use gnome
applications you probably want many of the TTFs in the book
(particularly dejavu which contains whitespace variants that will
otherwise be rendered as boxes).

 After that, you have an embryo desktop and can build a toolkit and
the other "necessities": jpeglib, [ libtiff - recommended if you
will be using gnome ], [ giflib ], lcms, [ libmng (works in kde3, but
firefox disdains it as "not invented here") ], iso-codes, dbus /
bootscript, icon-naming, startup-notification, cairo, glib2,
dbus-glib, [ desktop-file-utils ], [ popt ], pango, atk, gtk2,
[ QT ].  That's just a starting point, but it is hopefully enough to
give you some idea, and to then build gnome or kde if you wish to.

 If you intend to use any legacy gtk1 applications, you could build
glib1 and then gtk1 near the beginning of that part - but, I assume
you have taste ;)

 Your first task is really to sit down with the book, work out what
you know you want to try, and then draw up a dependency diagram.

ĸen