cursor control in console

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Mon Oct 6 18:50:12 PDT 2008

Scott Castaline wrote:
> Jordan Bray wrote:
>>      > While reading your response I had rebotted vbox vm to livecd and
>>     did a
>>      > lspci. I noticed 2 lines that were different that seems like when the
>>      > livecd was created they had the source code for the vbox guest
>>     additions
>>      > software for linux. The 2 lines are as follows, first from my created
>>      > LFS and then from the LiveCD:
>>
>>      > 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Unknown device 80ee:beef
>>      > 00:04.0 System peripheral: Unknown device 80ee:cafe
>>      >
>>      > 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH
>>      > VirtualBox Graphics Adapter
>>      > 00:04.0 System peripheral: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH VirtualBox
>>     Guest
>>      > Service
>>
>> That's to be expected.  Your's should still work.
>>
>>     using vt100 didn't do anything. "echo '" gave me a > as though I was
>>
>> That's what it was supposed to do.  I wanted to see if you were
>> experiencing the same problem with that prompt that you were with the
>> normal one.
>>
>>     breaking up a long command over several lines. executing sh did
>>     eliminate some of the quirkiness in that it would just do the horizontal
>>     scroll. To simulate the behavior I'll just hold down the key to
>>     duplicate that character. What happens is the line with the prompt will
>>     fill up until aroungd character pos 72 then drop down to the neext line
>>     as though it was doing a \CR\LF of course no prompt on that line and
>>     continue printing out the character, only now it goes beyond pos # 72
>>     and does the horiz. scroll. I'll hit enter and of course the system
>>     response is no such command. I'll hit the up arrow to recall the last
>>     command line and the cursor will positioned several characters to the
>>     left of the last character position. If I hit the left arrow once then
>>     end it'll move the cursor to the end of the command line. I then
>>     backspace continuously untill it wipes out even the prompt but will
>>     leave a number of characters at the right end. If I hit enter my prompt
>>     comes back with the cursor in the right position. It's almost like
>>     something thinks that the command line is inverted with what it thinks
>>     is the prompt but to the right.
>>
>> Did you experience any difficulty compiling the readline package?  I
>> would probably recompile that.  Afterwards, do an ldd /bin/bash to
>> ensure it's using the new library.  Try this:
>> [code]
>> ...$python
>>  >>>
>> 1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11+12+13+14+15+16+17+18+19+20+21+22+23+24+25+26+27+28+29+30
>> 465
>>  >>> # now hit the up arrow key and see if you're experiencing the same
>> quirkyness
>>  >>> ^D
>> ...$
>> [/code]

> [...]
got python installed and tried your routine and within python the curser
behaves right. Exit out of python back to the bash shell and cursor gets
all freaky again like a bad acid trip from the 60's. It does somewhat
straightens out when I sh within the shell, just does the Hz. scroll on
the same line.