cursor control in console

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Mon Oct 6 17:30:07 PDT 2008

Jordan Bray wrote:

>      > While reading your response I had rebotted vbox vm to livecd and
>     did a
>      > lspci. I noticed 2 lines that were different that seems like when the
>      > livecd was created they had the source code for the vbox guest
>     additions
>      > software for linux. The 2 lines are as follows, first from my created
>      > LFS and then from the LiveCD:
>
>      > 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Unknown device 80ee:beef
>      > 00:04.0 System peripheral: Unknown device 80ee:cafe
>      >
>      > 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH
>      > VirtualBox Graphics Adapter
>      > 00:04.0 System peripheral: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH VirtualBox
>     Guest
>      > Service
>
> That's to be expected.  Your's should still work.
>
>     using vt100 didn't do anything. "echo '" gave me a > as though I was
>
> That's what it was supposed to do.  I wanted to see if you were
> experiencing the same problem with that prompt that you were with the
> normal one.
>
>     breaking up a long command over several lines. executing sh did
>     eliminate some of the quirkiness in that it would just do the horizontal
>     scroll. To simulate the behavior I'll just hold down the key to
>     duplicate that character. What happens is the line with the prompt will
>     fill up until aroungd character pos 72 then drop down to the neext line
>     as though it was doing a \CR\LF of course no prompt on that line and
>     continue printing out the character, only now it goes beyond pos # 72
>     and does the horiz. scroll. I'll hit enter and of course the system
>     response is no such command. I'll hit the up arrow to recall the last
>     command line and the cursor will positioned several characters to the
>     left of the last character position. If I hit the left arrow once then
>     end it'll move the cursor to the end of the command line. I then
>     backspace continuously untill it wipes out even the prompt but will
>     leave a number of characters at the right end. If I hit enter my prompt
>     comes back with the cursor in the right position. It's almost like
>     something thinks that the command line is inverted with what it thinks
>     is the prompt but to the right.
>
> Did you experience any difficulty compiling the readline package?  I
> would probably recompile that.  Afterwards, do an ldd /bin/bash to
> ensure it's using the new library.  Try this:
> [code]
> ...$python
>  >>>
> 1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11+12+13+14+15+16+17+18+19+20+21+22+23+24+25+26+27+28+29+30
> 465
>  >>> # now hit the up arrow key and see if you're experiencing the same
> quirkyness
>  >>> ^D
> ...$
> [/code]
>
> This may help diagnose the problem since I know that python uses the
> [...]
Don't have python installed yet, may give that a shot. Get back to you
on the results. As far as readline install I don't recall seeing any
problems, as I'm sure I wouldn't have gone on from there had I. Would I
be able to just redo the install of the readline pkge? Wouldn't that
affect any susbsequent pkge installs?