cursor control in console

Jordan Bray jordanbray at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 14:13:54 PDT 2008

> > While reading your response I had rebotted vbox vm to livecd and did a
> > lspci. I noticed 2 lines that were different that seems like when the
> > livecd was created they had the source code for the vbox guest additions
> > software for linux. The 2 lines are as follows, first from my created
> > LFS and then from the LiveCD:
>
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Unknown device 80ee:beef
> > 00:04.0 System peripheral: Unknown device 80ee:cafe
> >
> > 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH
> > VirtualBox Graphics Adapter
> > 00:04.0 System peripheral: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH VirtualBox Guest
> > Service

That's to be expected.  Your's should still work.

> using vt100 didn't do anything. "echo '" gave me a > as though I was

That's what it was supposed to do.  I wanted to see if you were experiencing
the same problem with that prompt that you were with the normal one.

breaking up a long command over several lines. executing sh did
> eliminate some of the quirkiness in that it would just do the horizontal
> scroll. To simulate the behavior I'll just hold down the key to
> duplicate that character. What happens is the line with the prompt will
> fill up until aroungd character pos 72 then drop down to the neext line
> as though it was doing a \CR\LF of course no prompt on that line and
> continue printing out the character, only now it goes beyond pos # 72
> and does the horiz. scroll. I'll hit enter and of course the system
> response is no such command. I'll hit the up arrow to recall the last
> command line and the cursor will positioned several characters to the
> left of the last character position. If I hit the left arrow once then
> end it'll move the cursor to the end of the command line. I then
> backspace continuously untill it wipes out even the prompt but will
> leave a number of characters at the right end. If I hit enter my prompt
> comes back with the cursor in the right position. It's almost like
> something thinks that the command line is inverted with what it thinks
> is the prompt but to the right.

Did you experience any difficulty compiling the readline package?  I would
probably recompile that.  Afterwards, do an ldd /bin/bash to ensure it's
using the new library.  Try this:
[code]
...$python

1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11+12+13+14+15+16+17+18+19+20+21+22+23+24+25+26+27+28+29+30
465
>>> # now hit the up arrow key and see if you're experiencing the same
quirkyness
>>> ^D
...$
[/code]

This may help diagnose the problem since I know that python uses the
readline package.
--
/me