cursor control in console

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Sun Oct 5 18:41:18 PDT 2008

Scott Castaline wrote:
> Which file actually controls the behavior of the console cursor? It
> seems to behave erratically. When typing a long command it just keeps on
> scrolling horizontally, even though it is turned off in inputrc. If I
> recall a previously entered command the cursor is not at the end but
> several characters to the left thus making it difficult to edit the command.
I'm still not sure what is going on. TERM is definitely set to linux
under terminfo/l. When I type in something that is beyond around 72
characters, it now jumps down a line and then will scroll horizontally
from there. If I use the up arrow to repeat a command that is very long
the cursor will not go to the end of the comand and behaves erratically,
thus editing the command at different points is next to impossible. I am
now using all of the scripts as is form the book for /etc/profile.d,
profile, bash_profile, and bashrc. It's very difficult navigating
through the cli in the shell. VIM and nano seem to respond as expected,
just at the prompt in the shell.