Newbie wants to connect laptop to internet with wireless router... how?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 11:10:22 PDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Christian Gardner
<christian_gardner at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> It's very likely that your router is setup as a DHCP
>> server, so you
>> can just use a DHCP client to handle these details. There
>> are two dhcp
>> clients in BLFS:
>>
>> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/basicnet/dhcpcd.html
>> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/basicnet/dhcpclient.html
>>
>> This has a summary of the wireless side:
>>
>> http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/wiki/WirelessTools
>>

> Hello Dan, I remember your excellent help from the last brick wall I hit!
>  I'd prefer to install as little as possible. If, as it would appear, I
> can get online just by issuing a few commands in a script, would there be
> any advantage in installing a dhcp client? What would that do that those
> few commands wouldn't?

The DHCP client talks to the DHCP server (your router) to find out the
IP adress to use, DNS servers, gateway, etc. While you may know these
settings on your home router, if you take the laptop elsewhere, you'll
most definitely need a DHCP client to do this work for you. Both DHCP
clients are pretty small and probably worth it unless you're using
static IP addresses everywhere.

--
Dan