Newbie wants to connect laptop to internet with wireless router... how?

Christian Gardner christian_gardner at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Oct 5 10:47:12 PDT 2008

> It's very likely that your router is setup as a DHCP
> server, so you
> can just use a DHCP client to handle these details. There
> are two dhcp
> clients in BLFS:
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/basicnet/dhcpcd.html
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/basicnet/dhcpclient.html
>
> This has a summary of the wireless side:
>
> http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/wiki/WirelessTools

Hello Dan, I remember your excellent help from the last brick wall I hit!
 I'd prefer to install as little as possible. If, as it would appear, I
can get online just by issuing a few commands in a script, would there be
any advantage in installing a dhcp client? What would that do that those
few commands wouldn't?