Newbie wants to connect laptop to internet with wireless router... how?

Christian Gardner christian_gardner at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Oct 5 10:39:26 PDT 2008

Thanks Lauri... that's got me a bit further, but not all the way!

First off, when I run the 'ip route add' command, I get back a message saying:

Error: either "to" is duplicate, or "192.168.1.56/24" is a garbage.

Is this a problem?

Then once I've entered those commands and made the /etc/resolv.conf file, I can ping 192.168.1.1
and 192.168.1.56 successfully. But if I ping somewhere in the big bad world, like www.linuxfromscratch.org,
it says that's unreachable (though it does resolve the name, so it must presumably be
communicating sucessfully as far as my ISP's DNSes). Also wget doesn't manage to
get any files yet. How can I finish this off?

Finally, I'm doing all this at my mum's house. When I go back to my flat tomorrow, I'll
be seeing a router which apparently likes to be called '10.0.0.2'. Do I just need to
do the same things but change 192.168.1.56 to say 10.0.0.3?