Newbie wants to connect laptop to internet with wireless router... how?

Lauri Kasanen curaga at operamail.com
Sun Oct 5 04:23:11 PDT 2008

> Hi everybody. Sorry for the presumably dumb question, I have got
> *somewhere* but am stuck.
>
> I've installed LFS fine as per the 6.3 book, though I haven't done
> sec 7.13, configuring the network script, as I don't know what to
> put in there. I used a later kernel, 2.6.26.5. Reason being,
> support for my Intel Wireless 3945 card. So that bit works alright.
> I've installed wireless-tools-28 as per BLFS.
>
> After I've booted up I issue the following commands:
>
> ip link set wlan0 up
> iwconfig wlan0 essid <name-of-my-router>
> iwconfig wlan0 key <hex-key>
>
> Presumably those could go in a bootup script somewhere... any suggestions?
>
> Now what else do I need to do? Once I can 'ping www.theonion.com'
> and get a couple of packets back, or use wget to fetch some files,
> I'll be sorted! The only other bit of info I can think of right now
> is that the router's address appears to be '192.168.1.1' to all
> computers that should connect to it. Presumably my laptop would not
> need to know such things as DNS addresses, as those are all handled
> by the router? The router itself is already connected fine, I can
> surf all day on Windows and Ubuntu.
>
> Many thanks in advance.

Everybody has to start somewhere :)

If your wlan router uses WPA encryption instead of WEP, you'll also need wpasupplicant. For WEP your steps are fine.

After connecting like that, you just need to enter your IP, and the router's:
ip addr add 192.168.1.56/24 dev wlan0
ip route add default 192.168.1.56/24 via 192.168.1.1 dev wlan0
echo "nameserver 192.168.1.1" > /etc/resolv.conf

That should get you online.

Lauri