Newbie wants to connect laptop to internet with wireless router... how?

Christian Gardner christian_gardner at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Oct 5 03:03:21 PDT 2008

Hi everybody. Sorry for the presumably dumb question, I have got *somewhere* but am stuck.

I've installed LFS fine as per the 6.3 book, though I haven't done sec 7.13, configuring the network script, as I don't know what to put in there. I used a later kernel, 2.6.26.5. Reason being, support for my Intel Wireless 3945 card. So that bit works alright. I've installed wireless-tools-28 as per BLFS.

After I've booted up I issue the following commands:

ip link set wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 essid <name-of-my-router>
iwconfig wlan0 key <hex-key>

Presumably those could go in a bootup script somewhere... any suggestions?

Now what else do I need to do? Once I can 'ping www.theonion.com' and get a couple of packets back, or use wget to fetch some files, I'll be sorted! The only other bit of info I can think of right now is that the router's address appears to be '192.168.1.1' to all computers that should connect to it. Presumably my laptop would not need to know such things as DNS addresses, as those are all handled by the router? The router itself is already connected fine, I can surf all day on Windows and Ubuntu.

Many thanks in advance.