Login Security

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 15:48:04 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 1:42 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote:
>>
>> That said, pam is pretty complex.
>
> That is why I don't use it.  Don't get me wrong.  In a multi-user envronment, it
> may be necessary, but in most single user environments it really just gets in
> the way.  The LFS servers don't use it either and I'm not aware of any security
> problems that have occurred in the last 9 years where PAM wold have helped.

True, true. However, Scott did say later that he'd like to learn more
about security. Like it or not, pam is a major piece of the puzzle on
modern linux systems. So, if that is his goal, getting a first hand
education on pam will serve him well. I do agree, though, that it you
can certainly have a secure system without pam.

--
Dan