Login Security

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 13:42:10 PDT 2008

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 12:54 PM, Scott Castaline <hscast at charter.net> wrote:
>> Thanks Dan, I'll give that a try. Any config suggestions or material
>> that could be useful in helping me. I'm not a programmer type as per se
>> and this is an area (security) that I want to learn more about.
>
> The pam system's administrator guide is very helpful.
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/Linux-PAM_SAG.html
>
> The module pages and some general pam information are available as man
> pages. See pam(8) and pam_unix(8). The pam_unix page even has a usable
> example configuration.
>
> That said, pam is pretty complex.

That is why I don't use it.  Don't get me wrong.  In a multi-user envronment, it
may be necessary, but in most single user environments it really just gets in
the way.  The LFS servers don't use it either and I'm not aware of any security
problems that have occurred in the last 9 years where PAM wold have helped.

   -- Bruce