Login Security

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 13:12:31 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 12:54 PM, Scott Castaline <hscast at charter.net> wrote:
> Thanks Dan, I'll give that a try. Any config suggestions or material
> that could be useful in helping me. I'm not a programmer type as per se
> and this is an area (security) that I want to learn more about.

The pam system's administrator guide is very helpful.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/Linux-PAM_SAG.html

The module pages and some general pam information are available as man
pages. See pam(8) and pam_unix(8). The pam_unix page even has a usable
example configuration.

That said, pam is pretty complex. What has helped me besides reading
the documentation is looking at the configuration on the big distros.
Since they're distributing to a wide variety of users and settings,
they usually have a secure but usable setup. If you have another
system around (Ubuntu, Fedora, etc.), take a look at their login and
passwd settings.

--
Dan