Login Security

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Fri Oct 3 11:58:17 PDT 2008

Started installing some security packages onto my LFS-6.3 base system.
Installed the following in the order listed:

libgpg-error-1.5
tetex-3.0
libgcrypt-1.2.4
gnutls-1.6.3
cracklib-2.8.12
linux-pam-0.99.10.0 (created /etc/pam.conf as shown in blfs-6.3 book
under config info for this pkge)
shadow-4.0.18.1 (reinstall as required.)

I did not finish making the configuration of shadow when I accidently
logged out. Now I can't login as either root or regular user. I'll enter
the login and it'll just sit there never asking for password before
finally stating Login incorrect. How do I fix this? Can I boot using the
LiveCD add in the scripts and be able to boot again from my system?
Also, which way should I go, using /etc/pam.conf configs or directory
based security using /etc/pam.d/<files>?