KDE MIME issues

Trent Shea trent.shea at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 21:07:12 PDT 2008

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 11:48:27 -0700, William Tracy <afishionado at gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi,

> If I include xterm in my startx script, I can manually launch kicker
> and kdesktop from there. (I'm not sure if startkde is misconfigured,
> or if I'm just supposed to manually start those components.)
You should not have to manually start these.

> I did build desktop-file-utils-0.13, but was fuzzy on where to place
> the configuration commands that are supposed to go in "the user or
> system-wide profile". It's not obvious to me that putting them in
> .bashrc would work, so I dumped them into my .xinitrc. What's a saner
> location?
I'm afraid I can't help with this, other than to mention that I've had
both kde-3.5.9 and 3.5.10 running without building dekstop-file-utils or
shared-mime-info.

> So, am I making some simple and stupid mistake? :-)
probably not ;)

I've attached a list of programs I have installed. The list mirrors the
install order; any duplicate entries are programs that were re-installed
for whatever reason.

Hope this helps,
Trent.