Discussion: is building X.org from source now a joke?

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Fri Feb 29 01:02:15 PST 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 13:34 -0500, john q public wrote:
> I was lazy I just grabbed the lists of names in order from the BLFS site
> reduced them to basenames with sed and did the
> following:
>
> for modname in `cat modules-list`;do cd $modname*;<whatever I needed to
> cut and paste from BLFS>;cd ..;done

See, that's the first step as far as I'm concerned. Start with a little
scripting to simplify the install process, and you quickly become pretty
good at scripting, ending up with most of the BLFS process automated.

In my case, there's about 400 lines of Python code which reads a bunch
of per-package instruction files. And it's really not all that hard to
maintain, since most packages are exactly the same apart from a few
config parameters. So individual instructions typically end up looking
something like:

  register('xf86-input-evdev',
    version='1.1.5',
    category='/XORG/DRIVER',
    dependencies=('xorg-server')
  )

or for a slightly non-standard case:

  register('zip',
    version='2.32',
    custom_make=('make -f unix/Makefile generic_gcc',),
    custom_install=('make -f unix/Makefile prefix=/usr install',)
  )

which behind the scenes are translated into the actual build
instructions (in the form of a 8000+ line auto-generated Makefile).

Simon.