Firefox sensitive to -j4

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 07:22:31 PST 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Karel Kulhavy <twibright at hispeed.ch> wrote:
> I would suggest to add a note into the Firefox instructions to avoid -jn.
>  Such a big program is especially tempting to be compiled this way on a SMP system.
>
>  Once it made only the configuration phase and didn't do anything. Other time it said it cannot compile even a simple X11 program and when I looked at the gcc call, there was something prepended in front of the gcc command which triggered no such file or directory.

Here's the "trick" with firefox (and all the moz programs). The
configure scripts need to run synchronously, but the build can all be
done with parallel jobs. So, instead of just running `make -j4 -f
client.mk build', run:

$ make -j1 -f client.mk configure
$ make -j4 -f client.mk build

Then you only have to slow down a little to wait for the configure
steps to complete (which is the same as any autotooled package,
anyway).

--
Dan