BLFS 6.3

Joe dev at freedomcircle.net
Fri Feb 15 10:28:55 PST 2008

Hi Ken,

Ken Moffat wrote:
>  Apart from bragging rights such as "I run xorg-7.3", what benefits
> do you expect to see from the changed versions compared to what is
> in the current development book ?

With respect to Xorg and GNOME, I'm mostly a (not very knowledgeable)
user.  In the other system I use on a daily basis (Gentoo), I am using
xorg-server 1.3 and GNOME 2.20 and the only thing I've noticed is a
slightly enhanced look-and-feel and the System Preferences-Appearance
consolidation.
>  If you decide to build gnome-2.20, I'm sure the list will help if
> you get problems.
I would prefer to "do it by the book", if you will, not because I can't
deal with build problems but because I want to concentrate on other
stuff.  For about a month, I had switched my current LFS/BLFS 6.2 (with
LFS 6.3 built on the side), to Gentoo, because I thought I wouldn't have
to worry much about keeping up with stuff or with build problems in
general.  I switched back in part because it wasn't as flexible as
LFS/BLFS and I decided that I might as well learn some package
management techniques myself (plus a critical package for me was
hopelessly behind, in Gentoo stable).

Joe