BLFS 6.3

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Feb 15 06:09:08 PST 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 11:54:43PM -0500, Joe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see from the "BLFS 6.3: To be or not to be?" thread in blfs-dev that
> apparently this will happen soon.  Since it's been a week, I'd like to
> have a rough idea (2 weeks, a month, more) of when and possibly what, so
> I don't start building Xorg 7.2 and GNOME 2.18 and then shortly have to
> do it all over again (my preference would be to stick with the stable
> release for at least six months).
>
> Joe

 Apart from bragging rights such as "I run xorg-7.3", what benefits
do you expect to see from the changed versions compared to what is
in the current development book ?

 I keep looking at the xorg archives, hoping that 1.4.0.91 will be
out soon, but as of 2 nights ago I hadn't seen any indication of that.
There seem to be enough people with problems in 1.4 and 1.4.0.90
that I don't yet feel confident it will work for everyone.  Works ok
for me, but versions in the stable book need to be tested.

 If you decide to build gnome-2.20, I'm sure the list will help if
you get problems.  I'm not a heavy gnome-user (I use epiphany,
evince, gnumeric, gucharmap, and occasionally gedit, gcalctool,
gnash, totem, yelp) so I only build about 70 or 80 of the packages
;)  There are instructions in the cblfs wiki for most of gnome (just
because you build the whole system natively doesn't mean you can't
look at that), and google is often useful.

 There are, as ever, some changed dependencies in 2.20.  The ones I
can remember are: yelp now needs rarian, which gets probably needs
scrollkeeper (it overwrites scrollkeeper-config), gnome-keyring now
needs libgcrypt, which needs libgpg-error.  For gdm, I've reverted
to 2.18 (I don't like the way 2.20 restarts when I reboot or
shutdown, I like to see the messages when services stop - I might
just drop and go back to startx).

ĸen