CUPS and PJL

Arnie Stender astender at aagstender.org
Tue Feb 12 10:53:21 PST 2008

Hi Everyone,
    Sorry to be a pain but I am obviously missing something here and
haven't got a clue as to what it is. I have a Samsung ML-1210 Laser
printer. I have installed many different distros that used CUPS and
without a hitch I have been able to tell CUPS to set up the printer and
everything works great. The printer is actually attached to the parallel
port on my server so the CUPS on my workstation only has to convert
whatever I am trying to print to PJL and send it to a raw queue on my
server. I have built my [BC]LFS workstation and have an X desktop up and
running so I installed CUPS without errors and configured my network
printer as usual. The CUPS on the workstation is sending the job to the
print server in PS not PJL. One thing I noticed is that Samsung is not
on the manufacturer list in CUPS as it is when I get it from a distro. I
have pulled down a newer version of the PPD file from Samsung.com but
that doesn't help. I get the same results. It looks like there is no
support for PJL in my CUPS installation. What am I missing? Where do I
get it? Thanks in advance for any direction you can give.

Arnie