Intro -- xserver/SecurityPolicy -- KDE 4.1.3

Dan Moore mooredan at suncup.net
Wed Dec 31 12:45:00 PST 2008

Hello everyone,

I'm rebuilding my Linux box after first building it 2.5 years ago (LFS:
SVN-20060531) (I came across some pre-compiled software than needed a
newer glibc).  I've been a long time Linux user -- my first install was
in 1992 (Slackware (oh, all of those 3.5" floppies!) kernel 0.99 pl
12orsomething) -- even contributed a bit to the kernel code back then
(the slip driver).

Have used other distros since: Debian, Mandrake, Suse -- but found
LFS/BLFS a couple of years ago and am quite satisfied.  Started/finished
my new LFS 6.4 build about a month ago and have since been installing
BLFS components.

It's not a "pure" 6.3/SVN BLFS build (i.e. adhering the the package
revisions) -- I've grabbed even newer revisions here and there -- but
using the basic BLFS instructions for install.

The use of my box is for a home server/workstation.  Enough of an intro,
now onto my questions:

- VNC looks for /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy

Xvnc Enterprise Edition E4.4.3 (r16583) - built Oct 14 2008 01:08:32
Copyright (C) 2002-2008 RealVNC Ltd.
See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.
Underlying X server release 60900000, The X.Org Foundation

Tue Dec 30 23:54:41 2008
 vncext:      VNC extension running!
 vncext:      created VNC server for screen 0
 TcpListener: listening on IPv4, port 5901
 TcpListener: listening on IPv4, port 5801
error opening security policy file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy

Installed Xorg 7.4, but the packages didn't create this file -- it's in
my older BLFS file system.  Does anyone know which package installs this
file?

- KDE 4.1.3

What a can of worms!  ..as with many advanced packages, there's
dependency after dependency.  I've "successfully" installed it, but have
gone back a couple of times now to install dependencies for further
functionality and/or to fix issues.  Not really a question here, but
this might be better for the blfs-development list, I can share some of
what I have found if anyone is interested (new concepts like cmake).

Happy New Year
Dan Moore