Problems with HAL on LFS 6.4?

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Mon Dec 29 01:31:12 PST 2008

Hi guys...

Anyone else on LFS 6.4 or later having problems with running HAL? I've
hit a couple of problems in the past week relating to the current 0.5.11
release not working properly.

First problem, it doesn't support current udev versions, including 130
included in LFS. While looking for devices, it attempts to call
udevinfo, which no longer exists - it's been merged into udevadm.
The result is that devices may or may not show up in hal, apparently
depending on whether they were active before or after hal started.

Second problem, it can't recognise wireless devices on a 2.6.27 kernel
unless options are set to enable some old deprecated files in /sys that
it's looking for. The CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT_SYSFS docs say it's only
needed for old hal versions, but it turns out that includes the current
release.

Both problems are already fixed in their git repo, and I've asked if
they're planning a new release anytime soon. I'm curious though, whether
anyone else has had problems like this.

Simon.