Using package management

Zsolt Udvari udvzsolt at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 01:08:57 PST 2008

> 2) Which is the best package manager and do i have to build the package
> manager before building the first package in LFS?
While I've used (B)LFS, I've used my own package management (Symlink
Style Package Management, see
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/chapter06/pkgmgt.html).
E.g. the wesnoth version 1.4.3 were installed to
/usr/progs/games/wesnoth/1.4.3 path (and in this path there were bin,
share, lib, etc.).
I've created scripts and "lfs-rules" (like gentoo's ebuilds), so when
I typed command "pkgmgr update wesnoth", the 'pkgmgr' script checked
the latest wesnoth version, and when it's newer, downloaded, unpacked,
builded and installed it. I've created almost 200 lfs-rules.
They isn't perfect, and I don't hack it yet, but maybe it's a good
start point. You can download from
http://udvzsolt.extra.hu/download.php?view.44

Zsolt