Using package management

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Dec 24 08:44:56 PST 2008

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 07:58:42AM -0800, sky knight wrote:
> Hello,This is my first mail to this mailing list, so correct me if i done any mistakes,I would like to know some details about the following things,1) how to find dependencies for a package Example: Grub2) Which is the best package manager and do i have to build the package manager before building the first package in LFS?Thanks...

 Well, given the season, I won't give you my usual "all package
managers are more trouble than they're worth (to people who build
from source)" rant.  Having said that, I do mostly log what got
installed.

 As to mistakes, history has proved that using very long lines in
mail is not always wrong, but it certainly makes it harder to quote
so I haven't attempted to put these replies after the different parts
of your text I'm replying to.  Please consider using shorter lines if
you can.

 And now to the question of dependencies (a general view):

1.  If it's in BLFS, the dependencies are (hopefully) correctly
documented.

2.  Check for any advice on its site, or in a README file.

3.  For simple packages which ship with a Makefile instead of
configure (there are still a few), you can read the Makefile.

4.  For packages using configure, first run configure to see if it
complains if anything is missing.  After that, read the output and
look for the things if found, or didn't find, in the configure
script.  Often, a lot of them are there to identify the OS
(different flavours of BSD, or Sun, or nowadays OSX, sometimes even
cygwin or mingw).  From experience, the nasty part is packages which
contain their own copies of libraries (e.g. libpng, jasper, libz) -
sometimes it needs a lot of effort to use the 'system' versions (the
reason to do this is to avoid static copies of old libraries when a
vulnerability becomes known).

4.  For packages which use cmake, apart from running 'cmake .'
instead of './configure' and noting anything it complains about or
suggests, I don't think there is any obvious way to make sense of
what is going on.

5.  Sometimes it helps to look at what distros document as packages,
even though they have things listed as required simply because of
how they build.

 For grub2, I have no idea what it needs and what it can use.

ĸen