root vs user. installing firefox

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Sat Dec 20 16:23:20 PST 2008

On Sat, 2008-12-20 at 11:29 -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Simon Geard wrote:
>
> > That said, I don't always follow that advice - my scripted builds run
> > entirely as root, since having a script acquire root permissions partway
> > through is a pain
>
> Just set up sudo to run without a password:
>    User_Alias  ADMIN = <userid>
>    ADMIN       ALL = NOPASSWD: ALL

I do make use of sudo, but using it in the scripted build represents a
catch-22 - it's the scripted build which installs it. I know I could
work around that, but it's mostly a case of can't be bothered.

Besides, I don't really like configuring sudo to not need a password,
even if I narrow it down to very specific commands. From experience,
it's too hard to configure safely - I can obtain root shells on most of
the servers at work by exploiting subtle sudo weaknesses, and I don't
want to reproduce that on my own machine. I mostly use it as a more
convenient syntax of 'su -c', requiring the root password rather than a
user password to do anything.

Simon.