liba52 make fail//xmms compile

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Dec 20 07:31:26 PST 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 11:16:23PM +0000, b-vol wrote:

> thanks  before I saw your email I managed to compile with share libraries
> using CFLAGS="$BUILD64 -fPIC" .  I have now tried with
> CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -fPIC".
> Both work.  Which is better?

 On clfs they are currently identical - the pure64 compiler can only
build 64-bit (BUILD64 is -m64), and the multilib compiler also
defaults to 64-bit.

> I now have a peoblm  with xmms install  (see below)
>
> #####xmms-1.2.11
> lib/libXxf86vm.so ../libxmms/.libs/libxmms.so -L/usr/X11R7.4/lib -luuid -lpthread -ldl -lm  -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/opt/gtk1210/lib
> ../libxmms/.libs/libxmms.so: undefined reference to `libiconv'
> ../libxmms/.libs/libxmms.so: undefined reference to `libiconv_close'
> ../libxmms/.libs/libxmms.so: undefined reference to `libiconv_open'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[4]: *** [xmms] Error 1
>
> suggestions welcomed
>
> lux integ

 First suggestion - drop anything using gtk-1.2.

 If that is too extreme for you, you'll have to look at the configure
options.

 The xmms site seems not to be responding to google search links
(although a minimal unreadable front page (blue on black) allows
downloads), but google found a related problem from 7 years ago at
 http://marc.info/?l=xmms-devel&m=100035714612508&w=2
: I guess it has found iconv.h from glibc and concluded that
you have libiconv.

ĸen