liba52 make fail

Lauri Kasanen curaga at operamail.com
Fri Dec 19 03:28:19 PST 2008

> > On 12/19/08, b-vol <lux-integ at btconnect.com> wrote:
> > > Greetings
> > >
> > > I am having a spot of bother with compiling liba52  (the host
> > is > Athlon64- 64bit build GCC 4.3.2)
> > >
> > > ###### make failure liba52
> > >
> > > gcc -shared  bitstream.lo imdct.lo bit_allocate.lo parse.lo
> > > downmix.lo  -lm  -Wl,-soname -Wl,liba52.so.0 -o .libs/liba52.so.0.0.0
> > > /usr/bin/ld: bitstream.lo: relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local
> > > symbol' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
> > > bitstream.lo: could not read symbols: Bad value
> > > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > > make[1]: *** [liba52.la] Error 1
> > > make[1]: Leaving directory
> > > `/usr/src/build-08/vpn-08/sources-vpnc08/video-vpnc08/a52dec-0.7.4/liba52
> > >' make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> > >
> > > I have tried the configure script with --with-pic and --with-fpic all
> > > with the same make result.
> > >
> > > helpful suggestions  will be  welcomed
> > >
> > > lux-integ
> > Dear b-vol,
> >
> > The liba52 build is failing because it is trying to build a shared
> > library AFAIK. If you pass the parameter "--disable-shared" to
> > configure script then the build will succeed but it will not be used
> > by other packages or they will not be able to link against it as this
> > way the only lib52.a file will be created.
> >
> > I don't know why this happens but happens with many packages. This
> > includes ffmpeg, mplayer etc. There is no patch or workaround
> > available so you may have to live without these packages :(
> >
> > I assume you are also building the pure64 {C,B}LFS like me.
> >

> > --
> >
> > Jignesh D. Gangani
>
> I recall buuilding liba52 with shared libraries on Pentium box a few years
> ago.  Is the problem of static only libraries fo 64-bit builds?.  I also need
> liba52 for ffmpeg and vlc which   when I last compiled  the ensamble on a
> Pentium box all   used shared libraries.
>
> jignesh gangani wrote:
> > includes ffmpeg, mplayer etc. There is no patch or workaround
> > available so you may have to live without these packages :(
>
> Are you saying that the AMD-64-bit builds of distributions such as SuSE-11.1,
> Fedora10, Ubunto  etc all have to live without Mplayer, FFMPeg, VLC  etc?
>
> wonder if   stuff form links  below are of any use?
> http://www.taoframework.com/node/579
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper-updates/graphics/mplayer-amd64

Hello

Using static libraries does not prevent linking them, it just might be more complicated.
However, for the original problem, build requiring -fPIC, you can just force it by adding that flag to your CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS before running configure. That has worked for me several times (on a pure64 bit CLFS build too).

Lauri