liba52 make fail

b-vol lux-integ at btconnect.com
Fri Dec 19 00:19:06 PST 2008

On Friday 19 December 2008 03:25:55 am jignesh gangani wrote:
> On 12/19/08, b-vol <lux-integ at btconnect.com> wrote:
> > Greetings
> >
> > I am having a spot of bother with compiling liba52  (the host  is
> > Athlon64- 64bit build GCC 4.3.2)
> >
> > ###### make failure liba52
> >
> > gcc -shared  bitstream.lo imdct.lo bit_allocate.lo parse.lo
> > downmix.lo  -lm  -Wl,-soname -Wl,liba52.so.0 -o .libs/liba52.so.0.0.0
> > /usr/bin/ld: bitstream.lo: relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local
> > symbol' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
> > bitstream.lo: could not read symbols: Bad value
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > make[1]: *** [liba52.la] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory
> > `/usr/src/build-08/vpn-08/sources-vpnc08/video-vpnc08/a52dec-0.7.4/liba52
> >' make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> >
> > I have tried the configure script with --with-pic and --with-fpic all
> > with the same make result.
> >
> > helpful suggestions  will be  welcomed
> >
> > lux-integ
> > --

> Dear b-vol,
>
> The liba52 build is failing because it is trying to build a shared
> library AFAIK. If you pass the parameter "--disable-shared" to
> configure script then the build will succeed but it will not be used
> by other packages or they will not be able to link against it as this
> way the only lib52.a file will be created.
>
> I don't know why this happens but happens with many packages. This
> includes ffmpeg, mplayer etc. There is no patch or workaround
> available so you may have to live without these packages :(
>
> I assume you are also building the pure64 {C,B}LFS like me.
>

> --
>
> Jignesh D. Gangani

I recall buuilding liba52 with shared libraries on Pentium box a few years
ago.  Is the problem of static only libraries fo 64-bit builds?.  I also need
liba52 for ffmpeg and vlc which   when I last compiled  the ensamble on a
Pentium box all   used shared libraries.

jignesh gangani wrote:
> includes ffmpeg, mplayer etc. There is no patch or workaround
> available so you may have to live without these packages :(

Are you saying that the AMD-64-bit builds of distributions such as SuSE-11.1,
Fedora10, Ubunto  etc all have to live without Mplayer, FFMPeg, VLC  etc?

wonder if   stuff form links  below are of any use?
http://www.taoframework.com/node/579
http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper-updates/graphics/mplayer-amd64