liba52 make fail

jignesh gangani jgangani at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 19:25:55 PST 2008

On 12/19/08, b-vol <lux-integ at btconnect.com> wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I am having a spot of bother with compiling liba52  (the host  is  Athlon64-
> 64bit build GCC 4.3.2)
>
> ###### make failure liba52
>
> gcc -shared  bitstream.lo imdct.lo bit_allocate.lo parse.lo
> downmix.lo  -lm  -Wl,-soname -Wl,liba52.so.0 -o .libs/liba52.so.0.0.0
> /usr/bin/ld: bitstream.lo: relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can
> not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
> bitstream.lo: could not read symbols: Bad value
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[1]: *** [liba52.la] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/src/build-08/vpn-08/sources-vpnc08/video-vpnc08/a52dec-0.7.4/liba52'
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>
> I have tried the configure script with --with-pic and --with-fpic all with the
> same make result.
>
> helpful suggestions  will be  welcomed
>
> lux-integ
> --

Dear b-vol,

The liba52 build is failing because it is trying to build a shared
library AFAIK. If you pass the parameter "--disable-shared" to
configure script then the build will succeed but it will not be used
by other packages or they will not be able to link against it as this
way the only lib52.a file will be created.

I don't know why this happens but happens with many packages. This
includes ffmpeg, mplayer etc. There is no patch or workaround
available so you may have to live without these packages :(

I assume you are also building the pure64 {C,B}LFS like me.

--

Jignesh D. Gangani