help with libexif-gtk and cdrdao//udf-tools-1.0.0b3

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 16:11:40 PST 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 08:43:39PM +0000, b-vol wrote:
>>
>> #####first good tidings:
>>
>> 1) for cdrcdao-1.2.2   the patch
>> > http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/patches/downloads/cdrdao/cdrdao-1.2.2-gcc43
>> worked  well.
>  great.  It will get into BLFS-dev "real soon now" (I'm short of
> time at the moment, and beating my head against python/sip for
> kdebindings-4.1.3).
>
>> 2) for libexif-gtk I will have to do some more digging.   The program appears
>> not to be  well maintained.  I am susprised it plays  is such an important
>> part   for gtkam.  If you or any other know of an alternative to gtkam please
>>  let me know.
>>
>  I'm not quite sure how it is used, but I see it is a front-end for
> gphoto2 (which doesn't impress me, I'm afraid).  So, my usage is
> probably going to be slightly different from the way you want to
> work.
>
>  I set up a rule for my camera in udev, an entry in /etc/fstab, then
> I just mount it and copy the files over (needs vfat in the kernel).
> Then, I use the gimp (and ufraw for raw files) to do manipulation, or
> sometimes I just use 'display' from ImageMagick.
>
>  Not necessarily the most convenient way of looking at the pics
> (display will open them with pixels mapped 1:1), but then I normally
> have to do manipulations anyway, which is why I use the gimp.
>
>  Alternatively, somebody will perhaps have a good word for gwenview
> (kde4 - again uses gphoto2), but in all honesty I think we've some way
> to go in sorting out how best to build kde4 at the moment.
>
>  Maybe there are other front ends, I can certainly peopel mentioning
> that they use gphoto2.

I've been using libgphoto2 for a long time, and it works very well
with my camera on the latest release. Another pretty simple GNOME
gphoto frontend is gthumb. That's the default photo app on fedora and
has a similar dependency set to gtkam. I think gtkam was more of an
example frontend for gphoto when it was being developed. Nowadays,
there are lots of them. Two that I've used are digiview and f-spot,
although they'd take longer to get built. Even picasa uses gphoto via
wine, I think.

--
Dan