Bc and info?

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Dec 14 10:41:25 PST 2008

Scott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A complete newbie just nibbling around the edges of blfs, so excuse
> any ignorance.
>
> I installed bc-1.06, and it seems to have over-written
> /usr/share/info/dir so that the only "info" item which appears is for
> dc.
>
> The usual questions: WTF? (1) and HITH? (2)

Did you try to move from destdir?  If so, then you overwrote the
installed dir file.

> 1. Did I miss something? How did this happen?
>
> 2. How would I restore the file so that all of the other installed
> infos are mentioned again?

Besides using your backup? ;-)  Hopefully something to the effect of
this group of commands as the root user will work sufficiently:

for file in `ls /usr/share/info/* | sed '/^dir$/d'`
do
     install-info --dir-file=/usr/share/info/dir --info-file=$file
done

HTH

-- DJ Lucas