Cmake problems with kdeutils

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Dec 14 07:23:30 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 11:24:32AM +0000, Cliff McDiarmid wrote:
> I am installing KDE 4.1.3 on LFS 6.4. I've installed kdebase, kdelib, kdebase-runtime, kdebase-workspace, kdegraphics, kdeadmin, kdemulitmedia, and kdepimlibs without problems with 95% of dependencies forfilled.  But kdeutils, or cmake to be precise, is not finding Pykde4, system-config-printer and hal-cups-utils - all of which are installed in their proper places.
>
> Can you tell me how to adjust cmake to find these packages or is this a bug?
>
> With 'configure' this is so much easier, but cmake is a different animal.

 Indeed it is, and my early views on cmake are less than
complimentary.  But maybe I just don't like change.

 Actually, I may have to come back and ask _you_ about some of those
packages! I've done a minimal install (libs, runtime, workspace,
base, graphics, multimedia) without kdepimlibs (the dependency on
akonadi, which requires a running mysql, scared me to death).  So
far, after tweaking the sound by running 'systemsettings' and
starting strigidaemon it seems to work quite well for me (apart from
the 20 minutes used while strigidaemon reindexes ~/ after I login).

 Anyway...

> -- The following OPTIONAL packages could NOT be located on your system.
> -- Consider installing them to enable more features from this software.
> + PyKDE: PyKDE was not found.  It is needed by printer-applet to run.  (Use -DINSTALL_PRINTER_APPLET=TRUE to install anyway) <http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pykde/>
> + system-config-printer: system-config-printer was not found.  Some of its modules (cupshelpers.py and ppds.py) are optionally used by printer-applet for auto configure of new printers.  You should also install hal-cups-utils <svn co http://svn.fedorahosted.org/svn/hal-cups-utils/trunk/> <http://cyberelk.net/tim/software/system-config-printer/>
 This message comes from printer-applet/CMakeLists.txt after a
failure from find_package(PyKDE) which is in
printer-applet/cmake-modules/FindPyKDE.cmake and that does (broken
by pasting):

EXECUTE_PROCESS(COMMAND ${PYTHON_EXECUTABLE}
 ${_cmake_module_path}/FindPyKDE.py
 OUTPUT_VARIABLE pykde ERROR_QUIET)

and in printer-applet/cmake-modules/FindPyKDE.py we can see:

|# Copyright (c) 2008, Jonathan Riddell <jriddell at ubuntu.com>
|# Redistribution and use is allowed according to the terms of the
|# BSD license.
|# For details see the accompanying COPYING-CMAKE-SCRIPTS file.
|
|try:
|    from PyKDE4.kdeui import KApplication
|except:
|    exit(1)
|print "Groovy"

 I don't have that Python module, and running the script (as an
argument to 'python') just returns the status.  Adding -v didn't
really help.  Looking at 'man 1 python' there is some reference to
PYTHONPATH which I would expect to start at /usr/lib/python2.5/ in
your case.

 I see you are building in /opt - all I can suggest is that you
check where PyKDE4.kdeui got installed to.  If it is not under
/usr/lib/python2.5 try referencing it in $PYTHONPATH (and export
that).

 For system-config-printer it is again using python, and passing the
directory by sys.path.append : it is hardcoded as
/usr/share/system-config-printer.  MAybe your install put it
somewhere else ?

 For hal-cups-utils, all grep and xargs are finding is the message
from when system-config-printer is not found ( You should also
install hal-cups-utils <svn co
http://svn.fedorahosted.org/svn/hal-cups-utils/trunk/>) and a
message from printer-applet.py (which seems to be the runtime).
There are also references in README and printer-applet/README so I
don't think it actually tests to see if hal-cups-utils has been
installed.

 Hope this has been some help, it's my first attempt to understand
cmake scripts.

ĸen