GDM install error

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Dec 2 15:57:59 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 11:26:23PM -0000, v4mpire at chaoticnetworks.com wrote:
> well between log from make and log from make install the only part that
> mentions gdm-de.omf is part of the origional post i made

 Just to avoid the obvious - you said you installed scrollkeeper.
Did you rebuild gnome-doc-utils after that ?

 I don't see how make would avoid going into docs/de.  When it gets
there, even in Makefile.in it has

omffile = gdm-de.omf

 and then a bit later

omf: omf_timestamp

omf_timestamp: $(omffile)
        -for file in $(omffile); do \
          scrollkeeper-preinstall $(docdir)/$(docname).xml
$(srcdir)/$$file $$file.out; \
        done; \
        touch omf_timestamp

 : the filename (gdm-de.omf) and the invocation of
scrollkeeper-preinstall are hard-coded, so it isn't one of those
cases where a missing program causes the Makefile to end up being
garbled.

 Are you using freshly untarred source each time ?  I _think_ that
if scrollkeeper-preinstall is not found, the command 'touch
omf_timestamp' will still be executed.

 If none of that has solved it, go into a freshly untarred gdm, and
cd to docs/de.  Run

scrollkeeper-preinstall /usr/share/gnome/help/gdm/de/gdm.xml \
./gdm-de.omf ./gdm-de.omf.out ; echo $?

 Is the status 0 ?  Do you get any error messages ?

ĸen