no sound : (

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 12:24:35 PST 2007

On 2/28/07, Arden <yardcat at comcast.net> wrote:

> so all the right things for hardware seem to be there, alsa mixer is set
> properly, added supplemental group "audio", the speakers are plugged in.
> What do I need to log the process? maybe that would help.

Are you actually in the audio group?
$ groups | grep -o audio
audio

Do the devices have the proper permissions?
$ ls -l /dev/snd/
total 0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116,  0 2007-02-25 09:43 controlC0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 24 2007-02-25 09:43 pcmC0D0c
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 16 2007-02-25 09:43 pcmC0D0p
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 17 2007-02-25 09:43 pcmC0D1p
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 18 2007-02-25 09:43 pcmC0D2p
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 27 2007-02-25 09:43 pcmC0D3c
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 33 2007-02-25 09:43 timer

If that's all correct, then `speaker-test', `alsamixer' and `amixer'
are your friends. `amixer' is deprecated, but is actually nice because
you can see the settings in a different way than the colorful
`alsamixer', which can be confusing (at least to me).

--
Dan