Keyboard stops working

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 13:39:20 PST 2007

On 2/27/07, Tijnema ! <tijnema at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/27/07, Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2/27/07, Tijnema ! <tijnema at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > /usr/kde-3.5.5/bin/kdm &
> > >
> > > /usr/kde-3.5.5/bin/kdesktop &
> > >
> > > /usr/kde- 3.5.5/bin/kicker &
> > >
> > > /usr/kde-3.5.5/bin/kwin &
> > >
> > > startx &
> >
> > Once you start kdm, you shouldn't need any of the extra stuff. It
> > should start X and and then the proper KDE session. I think you might
> > be having problems because you're starting multiple copies of the
> > desktop session executables: kwin, kdesktop, etc.
>
> I think you readed my other message on this list too, i noted that i wasn't
> be able to start KDE normal, and this solved it for me.
> And it was working fine, just installed OpenSSH and vsfptd. That's all.

Alright, but if you're going to use startx, then everything you're
doing before it is useless. Or the other way around if you're using
kdm. If you want to launch kwin, kdesktop, etc., they should be
started by startx (through .xinitrc) or kdm. I'm guessing that they're
bombing right now because you're calling them from the console, not
from an X session.

I don't know what caused things to work or not work correctly for you,
but it would help to follow one procedure or the other. What you're
doing right now is bound to cause issues. You're launching two
instances of X and multiple instances of the kde session programs.

--
Dan