package x11?

Jorge Almeida jalmeida at math.ist.utl.pt
Tue Feb 27 07:07:49 PST 2007

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Dan Nicholson wrote:

> On 2/27/07, Jorge Almeida <jalmeida at math.ist.utl.pt> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to install xorg, following the current stable version of the
>> BLFS book.  I'm using "/opt/xorg" as $XORG_PREFIX.
>> I can't install the libraries:
> <snip>
>>         checking for OLDX... configure: error: Package requirements (x11) were not met:
>>
>>         No package 'x11' found
>>
>>         Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
>>         installed software in a non-standard prefix.
>
> Since you're installing X outside of the default pkg-config path of
> /usr/share/pkg-config:/usr/lib/pkg-config, you have to set
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH.
>
> $ export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/xorg/lib/pkgconfig

Yes, I had done that.
> That should find x11.pc in that directory. If you don't have that
> file, something's gone wrong earlier and you (at least) didn't install
> libX11. The environment settings are explained at the end of the
> introduction:

The file x11.pc doesn't exist in /opt/xorg/lib/pkgconfig. Now, according
to the Gentoo part of the workstation, the file should belong to the
package libX11, which is one of the packages to install in this stage.
So, I guess the problem is that the order matters when installing these
libraries. (Can this be considered a bug?)

Thanks.

Jorge