KDE-3.5.5 startup problems

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 12:29:53 PST 2007

On 2/26/07, Tijnema ! <tijnema at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/26/07, Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2/26/07, Tijnema ! <tijnema at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks for replying, but when my computer boots, it doesn't get into
> > > runlevel 5.
> > > It stays in runlevel 3.
> > > When i boot my PC with default runlevel set to 4(where kde gets booted),
> it
> > > does start KDE fine now.
> > > but i want that it boots up in runlevel 3 and then switches to 4.
> > > How to get that fixed?
> >
> > You set it in /etc/inittab.
> >
> > # Set default runlevel
> > id:5:initdefault:
> >
> > The second number is the default runlevel. In LFS, we set it to 3 by
> > default. I've changed it to 5 since I want the display manager to
> > start on boot.
>
> But then it skips run level 3 right?
> There are programs in runlevel 3 to start.

Look at the symlinks in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d and /etc/rc.d/rc5.d. They
should be the same except that in rc3.d you'd have K*kdm, but in rc5.d
you'd have S*kdm. How you set it up is your choice, but in the common
case, runlevel 5 is the same as runlevel 3 except that you'll start X
or your display manager (kdm).

So, yes, it skips runlevel 3, but it shouldn't be an issue.

--
Dan