KDE-3.5.5 startup problems

Tijnema ! tijnema at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 03:39:43 PST 2007

On 2/26/07, Tijnema ! <tijnema at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/26/07, jignesh gangani <jgangani at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >     I have also finished installing KDE-3.5.6. I have installed it in
> > /usr.
> >     After finishing installing KdeBase I just added this lines in
> > /etc/inittab
> >
> >    id:5:initdefault:
>

>  i already had this line:
> id:3:initdefault:
> and so adding
> id:5:initdefault:
> gave me a error of duplicate id field

Found out what it actually does. What i want is this: It should boot in run
level 3, start all apps in it, and then switch to runlevel 4 (without
killing the apps in runlevel 3). And in runlevel 4 i want to start
kde/Xserver.
- Added my /etc/inittab file

>  and
> >    x:5:/usr/bin/kdm
>

> (Note: no -nodaemon as in case of xdm)
>

> this one did nothing for me, but that has probably to do something with
> the error above

I think i don't even need this, as i have my own program loader.

> >     And just a single line "startkde" in .xsession or .xinitrc.
> >    Now I can login with my user name and password and I don't have to do
> > anything.
> >    Just to let you know.
> >                                                                       -
> > Jignesh
>

> I have that line. But i'm using my own program for loading programs at
> boot time, so i wanted to add those lines: (just shell script)
> kdm &
> startx &
> it does start KDE with a login screen, but the three main KDE programs are
> not starting, and that's my problem.
> how can i get those starting (kwin, kicker, kdesktop) ??
> do i need to add those to my script, if so, where?

-Added my /usr/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc file
-Added my /etc/X11/xorg.conf
-Added my boot file for runlevel 3
-Added my boot file for runlevel 4

As you can see in my boot file for runlevel 4, i tried to start kdm,
kdesktop,kicker,kwin,startx. Well, i did not try to start this at boot time,
because my default runlevel is 3, and 4 doesn't get booted, so i log in, and
then manually start this script. It starts up X/KDE, i get the KDE loading
screen. It gives me a Xterm in a K window manager, but Kdesktop & Kicker are
not started. when i start them from the Xterm, it does start them, but then
i can't open my homedir etc from desktop, and is my menu nearly empty.