KDE-3.5.5 startup problems

Tijnema ! tijnema at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 15:22:34 PST 2007

Hi,

I finally (after installing a lot of deps) installed KDE-3.5.5 from source.
I did not follow the BLFS book very well but i don't think that should give
a lot of trouble.
i have Xorg-7.0 in /usr, QT-3.3.7 in /usr/qt-3.3.7 and KDE-3.5.5 in
/usr/kde-3.5.5
so i edited /usr/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc and uncommented the last lines and
replaced them with
exec dbus-launch --exit-with-session startkde
I see KDE loading but when it's done nothing is starting.
So i added a xterm to xinitrc to manually start kicker & kdesktop. But then
i still couldn't do anything. A lot of menu items were missing. and i
couldn't open anything from my desktop.
I have no luck with kdm either, it gives me a log in box and i can log in,
again i get that loading thing of KDE, and after that i have only a
background...

Just don't know what to do... any help is really appreciated:)

Thanks in advance

Tijnema