DVD Playback problems

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 09:19:45 PST 2007

On 2/23/07, Nik Davis <nerostar450 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/22/07, Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Is there any reason you're using OSS? I think regular ALSA would do the
> trick.
>
> When I first installed the LFS system I wasn't getting sound, and asked on
> this list and was suggested to add:
>
> install snd-pcm /sbin/modprobe -i snd-pcm; /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss
>
> to my modprobe.conf file.  Since then my sounds worked just fine, so I've
> never messed with it.  I guess that's where this comes from?

OK, yeah. A very few things still only know how to use OSS. On my
system, I had to enable OSS only to get the proprietary crap going:
the Mozilla Flash plugin and Skype. I think both those limitations are
gone now. But if there's something on your system that needs it, then
you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

> The sound is working in everything now, but for some reason some DVDs start
> at the wrong chapter or start on the wrong audio track still, and I have to
> manually select the tracks and chapters to play.  At least the sound works.

I don't know how mplayer handles DVDs, but you can optionally build
against libdvdread. I've been using xine-lib through totem and it
works well most of the time, but it also uses libdvdread, and
sometimes things just don't work right. You can try updating that to
the most recent libdvdread-0.9.7 and see if that helps.

You'd probably need to really get your hands in there to see what's
happening, though.

--
Dan